Thursday 6 November 2014

MY SATURDAY GRILL

Hey lovely people,
Its a sunny Thursday and God is good, so why not have a good meal to finish of this week on a 10!


So since I got married, I'm all about cooking for the hubz daily. I have so many recipes that I want to try out just to make him happy since he absolutely enjoys my cooking. Although I'm also trying to be careful with the content of fat in the meals I make. I'm incorporating a lot of vegetables, fruit and fiber in our diet. We both love fruit and veggies so its easy when I throw a whole bunch of them together for supper because we really enjoy them. My aim though is always to make my meals flavor-full no matter what ingredients I use. If you're a Kenyan like me, you most probably grew up eating watery stews and are probably not a believer that veggies can actually taste good. THEY CAN but only if they're cooked right. I always look for ways to cook them well, either by stir-frying, grilling or steaming them. The aim is not to overcook or over boil them because they loose their nutrients and taste in the process. I also try to get spices and sauces that don't overpower the natural sweetness of the veggies. So here's a recipe to a meal the hubz and I enjoyed a few days ago. I basically threw in just about everything.  I used white meat, lots of veggies, and opted for olive oil instead of vegetable oil so healthy is an understatement. We are pretty blessed to live in a country where we can enjoy a large variety of fresh vegetables all year through. So visit your local market before the weekend, stock up and try this at home.

Ingredients
4 chicken breasts/ thighs
4 garlic cloves 
1 red onion
ginger
1 courgette
1 green capsicum/ hoho
1 yellow capsicum. hoho
1 celery stick
3 carrots
2 fuji/ pink lady apples
6/7 potatoes
Coriander/ Dhania
Olive oil
Salt
Black pepper
Cayenne pepper
Oregano
Parsley
Worcestershire sauce
Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees. Peel and slice onions, garlic and ginger. <Put garlic aside> Peel, wash and slice apple, potatoes and carrots.Wash and chop up celery, capsicums, courgette and coriander. <Put coriander aside.>




Cut up the chicken breasts in half. Grease an oven tray with olive oil. Mount all the ingredients together and sprinkle oil, salt, a generous amount of Worcestershire sauce and spices over them. Finish of with placing chicken breasts scattered on the tray. Add the chopped coriander on top of everything.




Make sure the veggies and chicken are smothered in a bit of oil and spice. Put in oven to grill in the middle of the oven for well regulated heat. Time 40 minutes and allow to grill.
Make sure to check and turn ingredients every 10 minutes so that they can cook evenly. 
15 minutes into cooking, add the chopped garlic on top to give the grill a boost of flavor.




Serve with white rice.
Its really that simple! The sweetness of the vegetables and the fruit and the spiciness of the chicken blend perfectly.
Enjoy





2 comments:

  1. what a lucky lucky man! looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just made this for dinner and it's heavenly!!!

    ReplyDelete