Monday 22 December 2014

CHICKEN COCONUT CURRY

Hey guys! 
Its 3 days to Christmas. Hope you all have your trees and decor up! I certainly do. I love how glorious Christmas is. I love celebrating Christ daily and a holiday to do just that is truly a plus. I'm super excited to spend my first Christmas married to the hubz. I'm thankful to God for life, salvation and for each and every one of my loved ones. I'm also extremely thankful for the growth of this blog and for open doors and all the closed ones that God has guarded us from.
So yes on to food things! I have been meaning to make a meal using coconut milk. I love how diverse of an ingredient it is, used in indian food, swahili dishes, and even thai cusine! I had some chicken thighs and a can of coconut milk so I decided to make a spicy meal yesterday together with some rice and steamed veggies. I also asked the hubz to buy some nans from one of our favorite Indian restaurants that complimented this meal perfectly.



Ingredients [serves 4]
Chicken [6 thighs/ 4 breasts cut in big chunks]
2/3 can coconut milk
140 gr tomato paste [two packets tomato paste]
1 onion
4 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon chopped ginger
Dhania
1 tablespoon royco
Olive oil
Salt
Black pepper
2 tablespoons chicken masala
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 yellow/red hoho/ capsicum
1 courgette
1 1/2 cup rice
1 packet mixed veggies [sliced carrots, french peas, brocoli]

Start of by cooking your rice. [Remember its double the cups of water per cup rice so in this case 3 cups of water for 1 1/2 cups rice] I used a rice cooker with a steamer so I used the lower part to cook the rice and the to part to steam my veggies. Season veggies with olive oil, black pepper and salt and leave to cook with rice.

For the chicken, peel and chop onions, garlic and ginger and cook them with olive oil in a sufuria.
Add the chicken masala and curry powder and allow to cook. <Use a few tablespoons water just incase the spices start to stick to the bottom of the sufuria.> Add the tomato paste and also allow to cook with the spices. Wash and chop the yellow pepper and courgette and add to the sufuria. 
Shortly after, add the coconut milk, a hint of salt and allow to cook with the spices and veggies.


After a few minutes, add chicken and leave to cook.
Mix 1 tablespoon royco, cayenne pepper, black pepper in a 1/4 cup water and add to the sufuria. Finish of with adding the dhania/coriander and seal with lid. <By adding it in the end it gives the curry a boost of flavor>
Allow to cook for another 15 minutes. Note that white meat tends to cook very fast. Make sure that the sauce is thick and light brown color.



 Remove from heat and serve with rice, nan and steamed veggies.



Enjoy.

As always, I'll have you know:-
-I'm up to 15000+ pageviews-thank you Jesus! and thank you all for following and trying out my recipes.
-I'm now on Youtube, you can subscribe and check out the video here: CookingwithJaz
-I am officially on twitter on this account (@cookingwithjaz)
-I am also on facebook on this page "cooking with jaz"
-You can also find me on instagram under the handle, "cookingwithjaz"
-If you want to be featured on the "GUEST AND RECIPE OF THE WEEK" email me on "cookingwithjaz@yahoo.com"
-If you have tried any of my recipes, do tag me or send me the pics on any one of my social media pages
Have a lovely week :)

Sincerely,
Jaz.

No comments:

Post a Comment