Friday 10 January 2014

Food review: What's in my takeaway bag!?

Hey guys!
Happy Friday-ing as a friend of mine would say! :-)) :-))

So I'll have you know that the food reviews have began. *insert fireworks!*  I will be letting you in on the best dishes to sample at some of the best restaurants in this city. Apart from that I figured I'd also review some bakeries and let you in on the best places to buy the best pastries. I'm calling this the "what's in my takeaway bag!" section of my blog.
Thought I'd start with an all time favorite, the Shell Bakery in Westlands. First of all you might be wondering what a bakery is doing at a petrol station well I don't know either! Lol 

Been buying pastries here for about 6 yrs if not more. They have maintained their good quality all through. Here you can buy fresh bread in all shapes and sizes, i.e baguettes, brown or white, sugarless, pita bread, ready made pizza bread, you name it!  A loaf of bread usually goes for about 100 Ksh  which I believe is pretty reasonable seeing they bake it on that same day. *you gotta love taking a nice fresh loaf home and smelling it the whole way back! I usually cut off chunks on the way :-) #dontjudgeme*
They also offer a large variety of cakes, i.e passion fruit, fruit, blueberry, mocca, raspberry, etc. a slice is usually 350 Ksh while a Swiss roll slice of either the white forest, black Forest or chocolate goes for 250 Ksh. They also bake butter cookies-the good kind you know, not the kind that is so hard you wonder why you didn't buy some Marie biscuits instead. Cummon now! A pack is usually priced at 220 Ksh.


One thing I love is their different types of pastries like jam tarts, fresh strawberry tarts, eclairs, muffins, samosas, cheese and ham croissants, etc. This is really the go-to place for just about everything including vegetarian pastries like the pizza pocket, vegetable samosas, plain croissants, oat crunch, etc for those who aren't meat or dairy lovers.
Ive tried just about everything in this bakery and I highly recommend them! 

Today I passed by to get a takeaway breakfast, okay I confess I go there almost daily. Sigh!
Instead of the usual mandazi or chicken pies, I opted for the meat pie and chocolate donut for me and my workmate.
I loved how crispy the crust was. You can tell they folded in the butter just right. Meat pies should be crispy and not crunchy my fellow bakeries. And the meat was fresh-there's nothing worse than biting into a stale meat pie! Yuck! The pie was actually pretty warm when I got it and I smelt it the whole way to work without taking a bite. That was hard!!
So I can say a good 4/5.
Why not a 5? Well it was a bit more salty than I expected, they'll get my feedback on that. All in all.  It was a WIN!



As for the chocolate donut, I must say I love a good donut and I wish there were more places that made good donuts in this city. I've been disappointed so much in the past. Most look good but have an awful taste, others just have too much yeast or  are just plain hard! So I can say that these guys have a  solid recipe that I have enjoyed over the last couple of  years.
Soft inside with a smooth chocolate coating! Def a WIN! 5/5 though I wish we had dunkin donuts in Kenya though! Still praying! :-) :-)




















So that's it's for today! Check them out. All week from 8-10 pm! Yes even Sundays! @ Shell petrol station opp oil Libya Westlands.

Sincerely Jaz and that's What's in my takeaway bag today!

2 comments:

  1. I love that shell bakery too. Never buy my birthday cakes anywhere else. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! Now that you have recommended the bakery I will definitely try it out.
    This is a good start :)

    ReplyDelete