Monday 17 March 2014

CHICKEN-APPLE-GOUDA SUB

Hey good people!
I trust you've had an awesome weekend, I sure have, though I wish it would have lasted till Tuesday.... :-(( Oh well C'est la vie!!
All in all its a new week to live, to dive deeper in God's Word and to spread some love.
I didn't cook as much over the weekend since I was tired from a busy week, although I got some good rest on Sunday and decided to make something different.
I came up with a sub idea!
I was literally chilling on the couch talking to my boo when I started craving a good sandwich. I could see it, some succulent chicken, topped with melted cheese, a nice sauce and some veggies for that extra crunch.


I rushed to the supermarket and bought the following ingredients and came up with this.
I really wasn't in the mood for the usual sandwich cheese slices that don't have much taste and I wanted a stronger*not overpowering* cheese to compliment the chicken and veggies. 
For the crunch, I didn't want the usual iceberg lettuce,so I got rucola, bought some green apples and a cucumber and made a mini-salad to put in my sub!!!

Ingredients [makes 6 subs]:-
2 Baguettes*preferably the soft one*
500gr Chicken strips
1 pack Gouda sliced cheese
1 pack Rucola
1 green apple
1 cucumber
2 avocados
Ranch dressing/ 1000 island
Worcestershire sauce
Ketchup
Oregano
3 cloves garlic
Black pepper
Cayenne pepper
Lemon
Vegetable oil

I started up by washing and cutting the apple and cucumber in thin slices and the avocado in cubes. I then mixed  them together with a generous portion of ranch dressing and store it in the fridge. You can also add a hint of lemon so that the avocado and apples don't turn black.


I then peeled and chopped the garlic and cut the chicken strips into cubes. After that I put the garlic to cook with some vegetable oil for about 1 minute before adding the chicken cubes. As it was cooking I added some oregano spice, about 1 teaspoon, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, half a teaspoon black pepper and allowed the chicken to brown with all the spices. After 5 minutes I added 1/4 cup ketchup and stirred it in and allowed it to cook until the red turned to brown. Lastly I added a dash of Worcestershire sauce and some salt to taste. After the chicken was ready I put it aside. 



At this point I heated my oven to 180 degrees. Lastly I cut the baguettes in 1/3's and in halves. On the lower half I placed a slice of gouda cheese and put it in the oven to melt.


Once everything was ready I put it all together starting with the apple salad ontop on the melted cheese followed by the chicken and topped with some rucola leaves and then the top layer of the bread. You can toast it for about a minute in the oven for that extra crunch!




And Vuala my sub was ready and absolutely scrumptious!!!




I'll have you know that:-
-I am officially on twitter on this account (@cookingwithjaz)
-I am also on facebook on this page "cooking with jaz"
-If you want to be featured on the "GUEST AND RECIPE OF THE WEEK" email me on "cookingwithjaz@yahoo.com"

Have a lovely week!
Sincerely,
Jaz.










No comments:

Post a Comment